ArtChangeUS: Arts in a Changing America is a new, five-year initiative that seeks to explore and understand the dramatic demographic transformation of the United States and its profound impact on arts and culture. Led by Roberta Uno and based out of the California Institute of the Arts, ArtChangeUS is creating a vast network of relevant organizations, artists, scholars, idea producers, and resource people across sectors to reframe the national arts conversation at the intersection of arts and social justice. Through a carefully curated series of special events, performances, presentations and conferences, ArtChangeUS will serve as an urgently needed catalyst that brings unheard, leadership voices in the arts to the forefront of social discourse, arts production, and community change.
Our mission is to reframe the national arts conversation by responding to the cultural assets of demographic change and creating opportunities for artists, organizers, and thinkers to advance cultural equity.
Our goals embed the project at the nexus of arts and social equity. They are to:
- Reframe the arts conversation to understand and respond to the cultural assets of demographic change;
- Catalyze and make visible relevant, innovative artistic work and forward thinking arts practices;
- Create opportunities for artists, organizers, and thinkers to connect across sectors in order to introduce new perspectives and collaborative possibilities.
ArtChangeUS has three primary programs:
- ArtChangeUS REMAP is a series of major high visibility gatherings on arts and changing demographics. Click HERE for ArtChangeUS REMAP: Detroit. Click HERE for ArtChangeUS REMAP: Bay Area, April 15-16, 2016. Click HERE for the 2015 New York City Launch highlights.
- ArtChangeUS@ is a set of curated, ongoing performances/talks/workshops/interventions at arts and non-arts organizations throughout the United States.
- REFRAME: an e-journal is the online platform of critical essays, reflections, and interviews for Arts in a Changing America.
Documentation will make the project immediately accessible to wider publics, through live streaming, archival video, essays, and other formats.
For inquiries contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org